Thursday, April 30, 2020

April tablescape is in the cards.


 

Can you deal? Our April tablecsape is set for afternoon tea and a game of cards.

This month's table setting was inspired by a recent find while going through buried treasure in our home, aka, storage bins in our basement. There are still a few boxes with contents that haven't found their "forever home" in our condo.

I not only uncovered my very much missed pedestal cake plate, but a set of my Grandma Signe's card symbol glasses - ideal for iced-tea and an appropriate accompaniment to your next jump bid!

I remember these glasses in my grandma's china cabinet.  Grandma Signe was my dad's mom, and she lived in a small town in the upper peninsula on the Keweenaw Bay. She immigrated to the US,  from a Swedish settlement in Finland, when she was four years old. Once settled in Baraga, she never desired to leave and lived in the town noted to have the "world's friendliest people" for over eighty years.

In my formative years, I spent a few weeks every summer with my family (three older brothers and parents) at my dad's childhood home and I loved these visits. My grandma had lots of collections of china and glassware (must be a gene!).  I was captivated by her display of depression glass on top of her white kitchen cabinets and her array of fancy china in the pantry. (The latter also housed a bowl of sugar cubes which may have tempted a grandchild, or four, to sneak a few into their little hands for a sweet treat when no one was minding the store).




The card symbol glasses, though, are perfect for my grandma. She was the "card shark" of the upper peninsula, known to take most bids in pinochle and win. She was a master of not only pinochle, but bridge,  canasta and just about any other card game around.

But, true "old school" Scandinavian, my grandma's  cups, Depression glass or fancy china, would not have been filled with tea, but an unending supply of black coffee.

This month, I set the table with Grandma Signe's water (or iced-tea) glasses and her green depression glass plates, cups and sherbet glasses, along with some card-themed tiny serving dishes (from a long ago antiques store purchase), to round out the card-playing tablescape.

While I may have inherited my grandma's collector's gene, my brothers surely were given her card-shark abilities.  Have you ever heard of a jump bid on half a pinochle and three cards short of  a run?  Oh, and, in addition, that bid ends up winning?

I'm conservative in cards, but wild for the tablescape.

No comments: