Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Quaratine succs without you! The Twelve Weeks of Social Isolation

Quarantine "succs" without you, a social isolation package brings cheer.

Last week, I got a wonderful surprise in the mail:  a delayed (in shipping) birthday present from my daughter, Rachel. It was a social isolation care package which included a sign that says "Quarantine Succs without You", a succulent plant in a white pot, a sweet smelling candle and a box of Peace Organics matches. While a true day-brightener, it also spoke to a few of my favorite things - a good pun and some delightful aromatherapy.

Wearing face mask when going out or tea
Win! Generic TP, but still my Prince Charmin


I immediately lit the candle and put the sign on display. As I sat down for a few minutes to enjoy this treasure bath, I began to take inventory of how I have been spending my weeks in quarantine.  I've been on Zoom trivia calls with the kids,  Zoom social calls with friends and a couple of virtual afternoon teas (latest from Victorian Rose).  Along with my husband, Chris, we've  cleaned out several closets and just in time to make more space for all our  recent Amazon purchases (including the coveted, though generic, bathroom tissue).

Seeing lots of turkeys on neighborhood walks
This guy came right up to our back deck.


We've also gone for long walks in our neighborhood and spotted more deer and turkeys than I can remember.  For essential shopping, we've secured some heavy-duty facemasks. And, adding to that list of accomplishments, we binge-watched all six seasons of Downton Abbey.


Binge-watched all six seasons of DowntonAbbey


Three virtual teas so far.


And, in the  minor inconvenience category, we've celebrated April birthdays at home: mine, my birthday twin, Pam, my future son-in-law, Sean and my brother, Glenn. However, I did treat myself to a fancy dinner carry-out from Forest Grille in Birmingham, and enjoyed a delicious dulce la leche cream puff for dessert. (some of the comfort foods may be having an impact on my bathroom scale).


Dulce le leche cream puff for a birthday treat
Zoom Quiplash with the family





















To all these activities, I humbly submit, and in no particular order of occurrence: The Twelve Weeks of Quarantine:

On the first day of Q-tine, my true love gave to me (and you know how the rest goes):

  1. A succ-ulent in a white pot
  2. Two mega facemasks
  3. Three virtual teas
  4. Four April birthdays (in seclusion)
  5. Five Zoom Quiplash wins!
  6. Six Downton Abbey Seasons
  7. Seven facetime friend dates
  8. Eight bags of stuff to donate
  9. Nine turkeys grazing
  10. Ten pounds a'gaining
  11. Eleven packages from Amazon (this week!)
  12. Twelve rolls of (generic) toilet paper

There are many things I know we all miss during Quarantine, but following rules to keep us all safe is a priority. It does succ without you all, but while we're in the many weeks of Q-tine, may I suggest calling a friend, texting a neighbor or sending someone a social isolation care package. I can attest most recently to the latter, it will bring a smile to the recipient and they will love it.






No comments: