Friday, December 28, 2012

December Tablescapes tell stories of Christmas past, present and future


Christmas Day 2012 tablescape
This December was a flurry of activity punctuated by tablescapes (culminating on Christmas Day!) that spanned centuries and crossed national borders. Like Scrooge's three visitors on Christmas Eve, the tablescapes had ties to the past, present and future, but only one earned "bah humbug" distinction.

At beginning of the month, I was bestowed with an early Christmas present that will enhance my tea tables for years to come. A guest at one of my tea talks was settling her mother's estate and she was looking for a good home for a small collection of tea cups.My good fortune, she thought of me.
I assured her they would be loved and cared for. The
china is beautiful with quality names like Royal Albert and
Aynsley. (future blog story #1)

Early Christmas present from tea friend

Speaking of tea friends, I was able to get the last two tickets to the Holiday Tea at the Longacre House on December 4th hosted by Linda Pudlik. It was her last tea at the Farmington Hills historic home for 2012 and marked her semi-retirement from the monthly teas at this location. My good friend, Kay, joined me and we were at the same table as fellow tea blogger, Phyllis Barkey. The table setting was a festive as the food was delicious. (future blog story #2)

Afternoon tea and tablescape at Longacre House

The following weekend included the Faberge exhibit, Darra Goldstein's "Dining with the Tsars" lecture and Russian Tea Reception - all at the Detroit Institute of Arts. I got to interview Darra for The Examiner the week of the lecture (Darra Goldstein discusses Russian cuisine and tea at the DIA on Saturday). Her talk on Russian cuisine from Peter the Great to the revolution was fascinating. Unfortunately, the tea reception hosted by the DIA immediately afterwards was a disaster and caused a revolt of its own.

Poor line management, limited tea fare and lack of seating (not to mention bad tea) caused an uprising and many complaints. (future blog story #3)  Bah humbug, indeed! Until I get to pen my account, tea blogger, Phyllis Barkey has a great write-up of the "event":  Dining with the Tsars - Detroit Institute of Arts

Sharing a cup of tea with Darra Goldstein

DIA hosted a Russian Tea with small portions that ran out

The tea and lecture were held on Saturday and the next day, my family and I had already planned a day at the DIA to take in the Faberge exhibit as part of  "birthday weekend". Both my daughter, Rachel and son Matt have birthdays in December. So, along with my husband Chris, and eldest son, Rob, we took in the exhibit - which was amazing - then headed to Traffic Jam for birthday dinner and dessert (more delicious and plentiful than the day before!).

Hot fudge brownie sundae for birthday week!

And, that was only half-way through the month! Still more December tablescapes leading up to Christmas Day.  Stay tuned for December Tablescapes, Part II!

In the meantime, hope your holiday was great - whether your table was plain or fancy - and sans hum bug!

No comments: