Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Tuesday Tea and Tomes: Sense and Sensibility - In Defense of the Senseless

Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility. Accessorize with pink ribbons for the doctor & pearls for clutching. 


The rereading of Sense and Sensibility has rekindled the conversation on which characters are the most likeable:  the emo-to-the core, Marianne or the rock-solid, rational Elinore. Is it better to lay all your whist cards on the table or keep a stoic poker face?

I take no sides, but I do like those that fall in the middle, the affably clueless.

Dare I say, the ones who take themselves less seriously and seem the less miserable are those that find joy where it is lacking, and, in the process, bring much comic relief to the despair and disappointments that consume many in Sense and Sensibility. Say "hello" to Mrs. Jenkins, Mrs. Parker and, even, Miss Steele.


Jane Austen House in Chawton. Rachel, like Marianne, plays the piano-forte.


Inspired by the upcoming movie "Sense and Sensibility" (to premier in the US in October), and governed by an obliging self-mandate to reread Jane Austen novels periodically, I completed my most recent reacquaintance of Jane Austen's first published novel last month. Each visit to an Austen novel brings something new and this time was no exception. I took a renewed look those who eschew the overwrought and the over cautious.

Like Maren Morris, why don't you just meet me in middle. . .

Mrs. Jennings, is talkative and gossipy, but always well-meaning and even Elinor fell in love with her. Having married off her two daughters - the now Mrs. Middelton and Mrs. Palmer - successfully in terms of their time and class, she looks to others to match up. While Mrs. Middleton is a bit more aloof, Mrs. Palmer, who more like her mother, is always happy and makes the best of the situation. She laughs when there is no obvious amusement to support it and sees her husband's sarcasm as delightful wit. An exchange between Mr. and Mrs. Palmer, while in the company of a party of eight, including Marianne and Elinor , had me literally lol'ing - and there was, indeed, cause for this outburst. 

Mr. Palmer took no notice of her [Mrs. Palmer].

"He cannot bear writing, you know," [Mrs. Palmer] continued. "He says it is quite shocking."

"No, said [Mr. Palmer], I never said anything so irrational. Don't palm all your abuses of language upon me."

"There now, you see how droll he is. This is always the way with him! Sometimes he won't speak to me for half a day together, and then he comes out with something so droll - all about anything in the world."

And, then there is Miss Steele, the older sister of Lucy. While neither Steele sisters have much to recommend them in status and education, Lucy, is pretty and cunning. Anne, who eavesdrops and blunders, is gifted with no self-awareness and the ability to move on without self-recrimination. And, she joyfully partakes in being teased about the romantic attentions of the Doctor, of which there is no real evidence of their existence.  Undaunted, Anne commits to the bit - even wearing pink ribbons, as she knows that to be the Doctor's favorite color. 

Though I'm not in favor of denial or delusion, I find the cheerfulness of Mrs. Jennings, Mrs. Palmer and Miss Steele to be the feel-good diversions from the sometimes-exhausting polar emotions of the two elder Dashwood sisters. I think I'd enjoy a cup of tea with the former three, and indulge in a little spilling, too. 

🫖🕮🫖🕮🫖🕮🫖🕮🫖🕮🫖🕮🫖🕮🫖🕮🫖


In 2011, my daughter, Rachel, and I visited the Jane Austen House. At the time, the Chawton residence was celebrating the 200th anniversary of Sense and Sensibility. Rachel, like Marianne, played the pianoforte, and I like Mrs. Dashwood, went in search of a cup of tea. 

For more of our visit to Jane Austen's House, see the link to our blog directly below. 

Jane Austen House in Chawton




No comments: