Saturday, August 26, 2023

Milk Tea Kit Kat: Let's have a tea party!

Milk Tea Kit Kat:  A Japanese variety of the traditional crunchy wafer wrapped in milk chocolate

 

Chocolate, tea and an invitation to have a tea party. 

One may think that's an awful lot to expect of a small candy bar, but we at BTS can confirm, this special Kit Kat lives up to its bold packaging claims.

Although, I'm very familiar with Kit Kats, the crunchy wafer wrapped in milk chocolate that's been providing me "a break" since I was a kid, I didn't realize that there were many international varieties of this sweet treat.  This month, I was introduced to Milk Tea Kit Kat from our New York family, specifically Jenna. She found it at one of the international mini marts in her neighborhood and presented this great find to me while we were visiting the Big Apple a few weeks ago.



Earl Grey is the tea in Milk Tea bar. We paired with a cup of Earl Gray


Milk Tea Kit Kat is a Japanese candy bar.  Digging a little deeper into its backstory, I found that, according to an article in Dear Japanese (Milk Tea Kit Kat, January, 2023), Milk Tea is one of the most popular drinks in Japan. It's a mix of tea, sugar and milk and is enjoyed hot or cold.  Based on the consumption numbers of milk tea, Nestle Japan began to experiment with bringing such flavors to a Kit Kat bar.

So, loving tea and chocolate, and taking direction from its fanciful package, I was anxious to try this sugary snack with a tiny tea party of my own.

We learned the tea used in the Milk Tea Kit Kat is an Earl Grey variety, so we paired accordingly, brewing up a pot of Palais des Thes', The des Lords (the same tea we enjoyed this month at The Plaza's afternoon tea).

After a sampling of this special Kit Kat, I can tell you, it tastes pretty much like a traditional Kit Kat with milk chocolate being replaced with white chocolate.  Full disclosure:  my favorite chocolate is dark, then milk, then white. But, I still found it tasty. And, it paired beautifully with my Palais des Thes Earl Grey.


Milk Tea Kit Kat come in miniature size in a variety of colorful packages.


This is to be a limited-edition Kit Kat, but that fact was cited back in January of this year. Perhaps it will have more staying power. 

I love the size and the candy bar's adorable multi-colored wrappers. This would serve as a delightful afternoon tea table favor for tiny tots (or any age, really😉).

Chocolate, tea and an invitation to have a tea party - what's not to like about a candy that brings that all together!

If you don't have an international market nearby, the Milk Tea Kit Kat (and other varieties) are available on Amazon.


See our latest BTS YouTube video on Kit Kat Milk Tea

Milk Tea Kit Kat - YouTube

No comments: