Sunday, February 19, 2023

Grandmillennial interior decor is real! (Perhaps there's hope for my tchotchkes)

Colored glassware is trending with grandmillennial. Perhaps my depression glass is "in"?


Just last month, in our "What's In/What's Out for 2023", we rallied behind plate walls, a trend falling under the larger umbrella (or perhaps, I should say, "parasol") of "granny chic".  It raised our sensitivity to a growing decor choice among millennials which has given me hope for the safety of my vintage bric-a-brac:  grandmillennial style.  I'm discovering, it goes way beyond old dishes as wall art.

While watching a TikTok video this week of NYC realtor, Robert Khederian, extolling the virtues of the Duke mansion, a Gilded Age treasure now up for sale, I was curious to learn more;  not only about the pricy real estate, but the engaging young agent as well. Turns out, his name came up in an article from the New York Post (2019). "Millennials with old souls splash out on 'grandma chic' homes".  


Crystal decanters are embraced by some grandmillennials who like the "opulence of a bygone era".


Khederian, and his boyfriend, John Maher are featured with other millennials who have been "inspired by the quirky comfort of their grandparents' homes and the opulence of bygone eras". Through purchases at antique stores and thrift shops, Khederrian and Maher, have acquired such vintage pieces as cut -glass decanters and a silver chafing dish to adorn their historic brownstone in Harlem.

"Grandmillennial" was defined by House Beautiful in 2019 as a "stylish young person who has an appreciation for granny chic". It has been tapped into by a range of style mavens from Martha Stewart (Grand Millennial Style. . .) to HGTV's Erin Napier


My grandmother's china cabinet is trendy. The Muffy Vandebear on top, maybe not.


House Beautiful continues to embrace the grandmillennial way in a subsequent article, which we (and I'm hoping my children, as well) are paying heed to:  "10 Things from your grandparents house that are back in style".   Included in the ten are items that are especially near and dear to me:  china cabinets, quilts, colored glassware and, yes, once again (!), decorative plates. 

This comes as a bit of a relief to me as I have seen the barrage of articles in recent years that make the consistent claim that your children do not want your treasures (e.g., The Family Heirlooms That Our Children Don't Want, WSJ, 2021 or Time to Face Reality:  Your Kids Don't Want Your Stuff , Kiplingers, 2021).


A home to vintage plates, Wedgwood and tea cups, some in, some out


Although, I may be a generation behind millennial grandparents, there's definitely some overlap between my stuff and my parent's stuff.  I have inherited some antiques and odd relics as well as amassed several collections on my own, from kitschy to classic. With grandmillennial style perhaps not all is lost.


Questionable as to grandmillennial's embrace: etager and Dept. 56 homes


I'm thinking, maybe, my children, may still want claim to some of my colorful depression glass, cut-glass decanters (and knife rest!) or my wide and varied collection of decorative plates.  

And, maybe, just maybe, there's hope for more of my cherished vintage items: etagere (currently displaying part of Dept. 56 Houses - also in question), Wedgwood Jasperware, a multitude of both Holiday Barbies and Muffy Vandebears and, predictably, lots and lots of tea cups, 😉


4 comments:

nancy in northeast iowa said...

It's great to see that Depression glass is "in" again, as, like you, I have lots of it...plus clear glass and decorative plates, plus tea cups and tea pots.
We own a guesthouse and we call the decor in it "Grandma's house" as that's what all our guests say with a smile when they stay with us.

I'll go for "Grandma Chic" any day!!!

Barb's Tea Shop said...

Nancy, I second that. We love all that makes up "granny chic" and your guest house sounds awesome and welcoming to those who stay there. :)

Anonymous said...

About those Dept 56 homes: my sister-in- law has a whole Dept 56 village, and no one (yet) in her family’s next generation seems to want to take over as its “Mayor” .. Maybe she should show them those articles about grandmillennials :-)

Barb's Tea Shop said...

Those Dept 56 villages are really something. I'm especially fond of the Dickens Village houses, but I only have a few pieces - and Lol, none of my children have stepped up to be "mayor" either! :) Maybe the grandmillennial movement will take over. :)