Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Adapting to social distancing: Keeping as calm as I can and drinking lots of tea




It's a world of unknown right now and we're all doing our best to pay attention to rules and comprehend the data overload.  What is okay today might not be tomorrow, so aside from being vigilante, mindful, and  helpful, I also have to  remind myself to "keep calm" while the tea kettle spout screams like an angry clap-back on Twitter.

In the semi-isolation the quarantine has imposed on our lives, I've seen where many are, pardon my platitude, making lemonade out of lemons. Family and friends have texted, or shared on Facebook, pictures of a remarkably clean house, books they are reading or TV shows they have been binge-watching. (Like Meatloaf's resounding chorus, my personal experience, "two out of three ain't bad").

March tablescape - small "accomplishments" can improve one's mood.

Last weekend, with appointments wiped out and venues closed, I did find things to do at home that brought me both comfort and joy.  I set out a Spring tablescape (keeping up with my goal of posting one a month!), started another book from my "classics library" ("To Kill a Mockingbird" - see next "Tuesday Tea and Tomes"!)  and sat in front of the big screen TV for several hours. I watched everything my remote control landed on, from an old movie on TCM ("News Hounds" starring local television personality, circa, 1960's -70's, Bill Kennedy) to a more recent film on Prime Video, "Tea with the Dames", featuring Eileen Atkins, Jane Plowright, Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.  But, the latter wasn't the only gem I found on Prime starring Maggie Smith - I hit  pay dirt when I found Season One of "Downton Abbey"!  

Binge watching Downton Abbey - as reassuring and affirming as an old friend.

Although, I'm connected to that Masterpiece drama in some form or another year round, I haven't binge-watched the series in awhile. It's like getting reacquainted with old friends, reassuring and affirming. It's a good place to hang out for a few while the breaking news alerts stir us from our comfort zone.

Aside from providing deep depressions in my living room recliner, I've found other things to occupy my time in this pandemic. When I'm not at my 9:00 to 5:00, I've been "facetiming" with the kids, texting and emailing friends, and, even in small ways, contributing what I can to help our community.  With my  husband, we're  setting aside a few days a week to get carry out (more than we usually do!),  we've given blood to the American Red Cross and we're ordering books from local bookstores that need a boost while their storefronts are closed.  

Dark chocolate, fresh fruit and flowers and a cup of tea:  this weekend's Rx

And, of course, we're trying to stay healthy with long walks in the neighborhood and drinking lots and lots of tea.  Also throwing in  some fresh fruit and dark chocolate (great source of antioxidants!) to balance the comfort food of pasta and. . . well,  more pasta.

It's an eerily strange time in history, where we're secluded yet connected more than ever to so many via social media. To quote our favorite U.S. Congresswoman from Michigan in a recent TV interview, "we're in The Upside Down now" and, as with crises in the past, we do need to - and we will - come together to get to the other side of this, whatever and whenever that will be.  

In the meantime, I'll remind myself with every breaking news update, every notice from family and friends of a temporary job loss or pay cut, every frustration and barricade to life as we knew it - just one month ago! - to keep (as) calm (as I can) and drink lots of tea.  

Oh, and move on to Season 2 of Downton Abbey. . .  

Virtual hugs to all!

BTS is always interested in what friends of BTS are up to, especially during these times. Send us an email, text us a picture  or comment on how you are spending your time. We'd love to hear from you!





No comments: