Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Tuesday Tea and Tomes: Waugh - and Brideshead - Revisited

Revisiting "Brideshead" and other Eveyln Waugh novels.


On my long list of books to read, "Brideshead Revisited" had sat for a long time. Authored by English writer, Evelyn Waugh, I was familiar with the era of the story  (1920 - 1940), and with a renewed interest in British aristocracy inspired by Downton Abbey and Bridgerton (and a bit of quarantine thrown in), I moved "Brideshead Revisited" to the top of the list a few years ago. My brother, Ed, has long been a fan of Waugh and decades before Downton Abbey or Amazon hit the scene, he had purchased a series of the British author's books at a local bookstore.  When I asked if I could borrow "Brideshead Revisited", he packaged up his entire collection for my reading pleasure.  

After receiving them, I dove into "Brideshead Revisited" and, although it's a compelling story, it is not the feelgood drama of Downton Abbey. The characters lead sometimes shallow and often very sad, aimless lives. The mix of scandal, religion, and that strange code of the Aristocracy are elements that both guide and repel friends and family of the inhabitants of Brideshead Castle, the ancestral home of the eccentric Flytes. 


Last month's reading:  "Scoop" is a favorite.

Over two years have passed since my first Waugh encounter and I decided it was time to revisit this author and his other works. I wasn't sure if let my own preconceived notions about what "Brideshead Revisited" was about somewhat color my opinion. 

So, last month, I read three more of Waugh's novels:  "A Handful of Dust", "The Loved One" and "Scoop".  I like them all, but the latter was my favorite so far.  It combines the confusion of mixed identities with unforeseen opportunities that brought to mind a "Being There " kind of tale. Like the simple gardener who stumbles into high society, John and William Boot's lives intersect at just the right (or wrong, depending on where you stand) time and a series of misguided adventures bring them notoriety they neither sought nor expected. 


Last fall, at Harewood House in Yorkshire, a forty minute drive from Castle Howard (Brideshead).


"A Handful of Dust", like "Brideshead Revisited" puts a spotlight on the British aristocracy with their endless parties and acceptable lapses of morality. But, also, like "Scoop", there are characters who, without much planning or focus are curiously rewarded or devastatingly punished. 

"The Loved One" is a quirky story of old and new Hollywood intertwined with two highly regarded places of interment, one for humans and one for pets.  This is said to have been written by Waugh after a trip to California when he was invited by movie studios interested in the rights for "Brideshead Revisited".  Waugh hadn't planned on any serious negotiations, but took advantage of the free trip to enjoy the sites, one of which was Forest Lawn, the famous southern California cemetery and inspiration for "The Loved One".


Three more to go from my brother's collection.


Now I'm ready for more. I've joined my brother in his appreciation of Evelyn Waugh's works (thanks, Ed!) and aside from the three unread books left, I'm even planning to revisit "Brideshead Revisited" -  both book and film adaptations. 

Episodes of the 1981 version of "Brideshead Revisited",  as well as the 2008 movie, used Castle Howard in Yorkshire, as the Flyte family estate. And, dear readers, the Flytes are not the only fictional aristocratic family to reside there. Castle Howard also served as Clyvedon Castle, the Duke's ancestral home in Bridgerton.  (It seems all aristocrats are connected - real or not).


In Yorkshire last fall. We need to revisit!
Bridgerton - ties to Brideshead film sites













We were in Yorkshire last Fall touring another great country estate, Harewood House where a few scenes of the first Downton Abbey movie were filmed. I believe while getting reacquainted with Brideshead, we also need to revisit Yorkshire and continue our English authors journey. 


 

No comments: