Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Return of the Lemon Curd: Our favorite recipe and a solved mystery!

A "new" lemon curd recipe is hands (or face) down, a BTS favorite.

Although we've never left lemon curd, our favorite scone accompaniment, we are back in the BTS test kitchen after a two-year lapse to once again prepare our own. And, this, my BTS tea friends, is the best lemon curd I've ever had. 


Back in the BTS test kitchen, whipping up lemon curd after a two-year pause


This recipe came from Judy M., my son-in-law's grandmother. Judy sent this to me July of 2022, when I made my first batch of lemon curd from a recipe I found on-line (see "Lemond Curd from BTS test kitchen").

My lemon curd obsession was rekindled (granted, it doesn't take much) by a number of recent afternoon tea outings as well as reading Laura Childs' tea mystery, "Lemon Curd Killer".  The latter warrants a hearty "thumb's up's" for tea time recipes furnished at the end of the novel, a mention of one of our favorite Charleston restaurants "Poogan's Porch" and another opportunity to reunite with Theodosia Browning and the rest of the gang at the Indigo Tea Shop. 

The connection of lemon curd and its role in the murder mystery, however, is, reassuringly, not nefarious. The victim was found face down in a bowl of lemon curd (that's just where the tie-in begins and ends).


Curd at Lady Mendl's served in salt cellars
    
Curd presentation not quite the same in plastic


          



And, we'll never disagree with any inclusion of lemon curd, be it book, tea table or, ultimately, a scone.  So, with that, I was motivated to whip up my own batch of citrusy goodness. (See recipe below).




Lemon curd ingredients, we used 4 eggs
"Whisk-reward" pays off!




🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋

 Lemon Curd  

Home-made lemon curd has an excellent flavor, but a limited keeping time.  It is best to make small quantities at a time.

4 oz butter Place butter, sugar, grated lemon rind and strained 
12 oz granulated sugar juice in bowl over saucepan half filled with simmering 
3 lemons, rind and juice water.  Stir occasionally until butter is melted and sugar 
4 eggs (or 8 egg yolks) dissolved.  Stir in lightly mixed eggs (or yolks).  Continue
to stir over simmering water until curd thickens slightly. 
Makes 1½ - 2 lbs Remove from heat (curd will continue to thicken as it 
cools).  Pour into clean wam jars.  Cover and seal while
Time taken - 30 minutes hot.

🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋


BTS' test kitchen notes: I utilized the four eggs option. Also, as I noted in my lemon curd blog from 2022, be prepared to whisk a bit. I will once again state, the time spent is the "whisk-reward" for a scrumptious lemon curd. 

We enjoyed this batch of lemon curd with our Bridgerton Scone mix (also prepared in the BTS test kitchen).  For serving curd, we prefer using crystal or glass bowls. (For those who serve in plastic - while it may still taste delicious, the glass/crystal presentation adds so much to any afternoon tea table).

A great big thank you to Judy M. for this wonderful lemon curd recipe. Hands - or face - down, we've cracked this case. This is the best lemon curd I've tasted. It, along with teapot, tea cups, scones and crystal accoutrements, will be a staple on our BTS afternoon tea table. 



2 comments:

Clay Dobrovolec said...

Wonderful to make lemon curd! I will probably not be as ambitious, still buying a store brand. And glad you read "Lemon Curd Killer", another great mystery in my favorite cozy series!

Barb's Tea Shop said...

Yes, I remember us talking about the book last year. I waited until it came out in paperback. Certainly got me motivated as far as lemon curd. ;)