Sunday, February 25, 2024

Salt in tea? Our interview with Michelle Francl, chemist and author of 'Steeped: The Chemistry of Tea'

When brewing a pot of tea, favored additions are milk, sugar and lemon slices. What about salt?



How do you take your tea? Do you add milk or sugar or lemon or. . . salt?  Michelle Francl, chemist, writer and tea enthusiast, recommends the latter and it has caused quite a controversy!

Michelle Francl, a Professor of Chemistry at Bryn Mawr and author of the new book, "Steeped: The Chemistry of Tea" took some time to chat with BTS this week and address, among other things, the topic of adding salt to tea. A subject so controversial it caused a bit of a "brew-haha" between the US and the UK.


Michelle Francl's new book, filled with fascinating tea facts, sparked a bit of a "brew-haha".


After news reached England that an American professor advised adding a bit of salt to one's cup of tea to reduce bitterness, it generated an outcry from a number of incredulous UK citizens. The U.S. Embassy in London felt they had to this address this poste haste and issued a statement to defuse the situation. Here's an excerpt:    

". . .We want to ensure the good people of the UK that the unthinkable notion of adding salt to Britain's national drink is not official United States policy. And never will be. 

The U.S. Embassy will continue to make tea in the proper way - by microwaving it".

Ah, we were doing so well! :)

But, seriously, folks - there's some seriously fascinating information about the chemistry of tea. Understanding how it all works can produce what we're all in search of:  the perfect pot of tea.

After receiving several news articles regarding the hue and cry that stemmed from the publication of "Steeped: The Chemistry of Tea" from my posse of tea sources, I reached out to Michelle Francl to learn more. She graciously took time to answer a few questions we sent her way. 

A chat with Michelle Francl: 

BTS:  Your recommendation to add salt to brewed tea to reduce bitterness has caused quite a "stir" with the British and even garnered a response from the U.S. Embassy. Did you expect this kind of reaction (emotional, not chemical - I know you have the latter down pat!)?

Michelle Francl: I certainly did not expect the kind of reaction that I got from the British public about salt and tea. I thought it was interesting when I uncovered it, and given that it’s a hack that coffee drinkers have known for a long time, I didn’t really think that people would get quite so emotional about it. It was a bit overwhelming, but also a lot of fun to see chemistry in the news in this way.

BTS: Do you have any plans to do a tour in the U.S (or elsewhere) this year?  

Michelle Francl:  I am doing a bit of traveling to talk about the book, but as of yet, there is no official tour.

BTS:  What is your favorite tea?

Michelle Francl:  My favorite tea is Assam from the Halmari estate, but I also love green snail tea and rose congou in the afternoon. 


(We'll quickly add here that green snail tea gets its name from the shape of its rolled up leaves, not its contents.)


A pinch of salt can reduce the bitterness of tea. Vintage salt cellars on my tea table may now hold salt!



And, while drinking my favorite tea, Earl Grey, I took in a recent presentation that Michelle Francl gave to the Royal Society of Chemistry online. Here I learned not only that Michelle Francl does not care for Earl Grey (but noted it does contain properties that enhance relaxation), but more, importantly, how understanding the chemistry of tea can lead to brewing a better pot of Camilla Sinesis. 

So, I purposely steeped my black tea blend longer than usual to make it just a bit bitter.  After a sip to assure the brew was indeed past its prime and bitter, I added a pinch of NaCl. Amazingly, it did taste smoother and less harsh. 

As one who collects vintage salt cellars for scone condiments (curd, cream, jam), I believe I now have yet another purpose for these mini crystal dishes. Salt! I might just add this to my tea table as a precautionary aid, should my brew be unintentionally bitter.

Final notes:   "Steeped: The Chemistry of Tea" is available on Amazon.  I will feature it in an upcoming Tuesday Tea and Tomes. 

In addition to all the above, Michelle Francl, Ph.D, is a quantum chemist who has published in areas ranging from development of methods for computational chemistry to the structures of topologically intriguing molecules. She is also an Adjunct Scholar of the Vatican Observatory.  

We are truly grateful to Michelle Francl for taking the time to visit with us at BTS. We look forward to any of Dr. Francl's future presentations we may have the opportunity to attend in person and eagerly await for our copy of "Steeped: The Chemistry of Tea" to be delivered.


2 comments:

PamB said...

Ooh the mention of computational chemistry reminded me of this old saw: “If it stinks, it’s chemistry; if it moves, it’s biology; if it fails, it’s computer science. If it stinks and fails to move, it’s computational biology!” // Should we arrange an experiment— table salt vs kosher flake vs Himalayan pink vs .. etc?

Barb's Tea Shop said...

LOL! That certainly is descriptive. . . And, yes! I am all up for more experiments in my kitchen/lab - a controlled environment, except when making sticky toffee pudding. ;)