Monday, September 5, 2022

Afternoon tea at NYC's Tea and Sympathy: Back after 15 years, next visit not so long!

Visiting Tea and Sympathy in 2007


Last week, I had afternoon tea at Tea and Sympathy  - fifteen years after my first stop to the New York City tea room - and it was clearly way too long between visits. Although this blog writer may have changed a bit in dress size and hair color, this Greenwich Village tea venue is exactly the same save for an outdoor addition which extends Tea and Sympathy's footprint quite comfortably.

I was introduced to Tea and Sympathy back in 2007 during a personal tour of New York tea sites with Elizabeth Knight, former tea sommelier of The St. Regis Hotel and author of "Tea in the City - New York". (Subject of one of BTS' first blogs: Barb's TEA Shop Celebri-Teas:  Spring 2007).


Return to Tea and Sympathy in 2022, we have changed, but not the tearoom!

,
Although I've been to the UK many times, in 2007, it had been less than a year since my very first visit to England and once entering the door of Tea and Sympathy, I was quickly reminded of the quaint tea spots we frequented in the extended London area. Not the fancy tea rooms, like the Ritz or Claridge's, but the homey, informal venues with worn wood floors and non-gilded furnishings where the focus was on easy informality and a comforting cup of tea.


The Queen still in residence after her jubilee celebration



Most fittingly, for this year's visit to Tea and Sympathy, I was joined by two of my companions on that first trip to England:  my husband, Chris and son, Matt. (Matt now makes his home in NYC with his girlfriend, Jenna, so more reasons to visit the Big Apple as well as this delightful tearoom,)



Chris and Matt, like being back in London
Outdoor space increases footprint of tearoom
















We made reservations for "Afternoon Tea for Three" at 1:00 and had our choice of indoor seating or outdoors. It being a lovely day in the city, we chose the latter and benefitted from a check-in with the Queen. Service was top-notch as was the filled-to-the-brim afternoon tea fare served up on the traditional three-tiered tray. Matt ordered a pot of Darjeeling while Chris and I selected (of course), Earl Grey. Both were expertly brewed and delicious.


Matt expertly decanting his tea


The tea is served leaves still in the pot, so you decant yourself via tea strainers provided. (May I add here that I was extremely proud of my NYC son for knowing exactly how to proceed unaided!).


Delicious savories and scones
and sweets fill the three-tiered tray







After our afternoon tea, we stopped at the Tea and Sympathy store adjacent to the tearoom to purchase some of their signature brand blend of tea. We will post our review soon, but I remember how much I truly enjoyed it when I brought home a few tins back fifteen years ago.


Tea and Sympathy shop, where guests can purchase tea and other treats from England



We certainly won't wait that long again to visit Tea and Sympathy again.



Delightful afternoon tea - we won't wait another 15 years!



No comments: