Sunday, February 21, 2021

TeaTime Magazine's 100th Issue! Many years of great connections, exciting tea travel, terrific tablescapes, inviting recipes and beautiful photographs. . . and more to come!!

TeaTime Magazine celebrates its 100th issue with one hundred pages!


Every issue of TeaTime Magazine is special, but the March/April 2021 edition is extra special, with an emphasis on extra. This is TeaTime's 100th issue filled with one hundred pages of everything we love about this magazine:  tea room visits, tablescapes, recipes and tea education, all written to inform and entertain,  accompanied by gorgeous photos that cheer and inspire.


Barb Gulley with TeaTime Editor, Lorna Reeves



But, TeaTime is more than just a magazine - it's a lifestyle and a community, and, for me, it's been an essential companion throughout my own tea career. With its first issue published in 2003, TeaTime launched just as my daughter, Rachel (still in high school) and I, were putting together our business plan for Barb's Tea Service (at the time, Barb's Tea Shop) which officially started in January of 2005. 

TeaTime not only connected me with tea friends and tea travel, but, eventually an opportunity to write articles about both topics for this incredible magazine.

Afternoon tea with Penelope C
Our visit to Caffe Florian featured in Tea Time


My first contribution to TeaTime came in 2014 with a short piece for "the tea diaries" feature. In "Making Friends over TeaTime", I shared the story of meeting a fellow tea presenter and author, Penelope C. in Denver, Colorado. In a bit of "seredipi-tea",  Penelope's tea event at the Molly Brown House was highlighted in TeaTime just a month before my husband and I were planning to visit the mile high city. I sent Penelope a note asking if we could meet up before her event and, in the fashion of the remarkable tea people I've had the pleasure to know, she not only said "yes", but invited me to her home for afternoon tea!


My TeaTime archives. Front and center: Jan/Feb 2016 issue featuring our visit to Highclere Castle


TeaTime made for many local connections as well. One of my favorite tea friends, Barb T., connected with me after reading one of my TeaTime articles. She reached out to me via social media, with the comment: "how is there another Barb in (southeast) Michigan who loves tea and I haven't met her yet?".  We remedied that immediately and, since then,  we've shared many a delightful tea time at some of the most wonderful  tea venues in Michigan. 


Tea enthusiasts who met via TeaTime, Michigan Barb's at tea


After my submission to the "tea diaries", I continued to contribute to TeaTime Magazine. From 2016 to 2019, I wrote articles on my tea travels to Highclere Castle (the "real" Downton Abbey) and, later, visits to tea rooms in Venice and Rome. It's always a great honor to write for TeaTime - every issue is executed with high standards and attention to detail. It's what keeps us not only upping our subscription every year, but welcoming each new issue as though it's a holiday upon arrival.


Barb & Rachel G. with Janes Norwood Pratt 2010
With Bruce Richardson, 2019






The March/April edition  of TeaTime pays tribute to all of its one hundred issues starting with its origins as an offshoot of Southern Lady Magazine and a collaboration between Phyllis Hoffman DePiano and Barbara Cockerham. In 2010, Lorna Reeves took over as Editor and continues in that role today. In 2013, the magazine added three contributing editors: James Norwood Pratt, Jane Pettigrew and Bruce Richardson. All of these editors are the rock stars of the tea world and since 2004, I've met them all personally. They continue to educate and motivate and, like TeaTime Magazine, they are equally elegant and accessible. 


Barb and Rachel Gulley with Jane Pettigrew 2011


When TeaTime published its first ever British Tea, special collector's issue, it was a thrill to share "contributing writers" status with Jane Pettigrew. 


Contributing writers include Jane Pettigrew & Barbara Gulley
First ever British Tea issue

  










Happy 100th Issue TeaTime Magazine. It truly is more than a magazine:  it's where friends meet with a shared passion and continue our tea journey together. We look forward to more BIG issues and will continue to eagerly wait for its next arrival in our mailbox! 

For more information on TeaTime Magazine's products, including subscriptions, check out their website: teatimemagazine.com 

No comments: