Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Neighborly Swedish 'tea log' gift: Delicious treat brings back memories of Scandinavian roots and visit to Santa's hometown



Swedish tea log, a Christmas Eve gift from our neighbor



Swedish tea log for Christmas!  

I'm Swedish.  I love tea.  But, I had never heard of a Swedish tea log - that is until this Christmas Eve. My neighbor, Therese, texted me mid-morning last Thursday to see if I was home and if so, could she drop off a Swedish tea log. Well, I was indeed home and my response, was that of eloquent, reserved gratitude, specifically: "OMG!!! Yes!! Thank you very much!!!"

Before one could  say "God Jul", Therese was at my front court yard with a baguette-shaped treat wrapped in aluminum foil and tied with a white and silver ribbon.  My awesome neighbor knew I was a tea enthusiast, but the link to my heritage was just an extra bonus.

The Swedish tea log is filled with cinnamon, sugar and nuts. 


Therese explained that the recipe came from her grandmother when she lived in Detroit.  Grandma's neighbor was Swedish and shared her recipe. Thanks to that friendly offering, a few generations later, I'm the most fortunate recipient of this Scandinavian pastry.

My Swedish heritage comes via my dad whose parents were born in a Swedish settlement of Vaasa, Finland. Along with my husband, our three kids and my brother, sister-in-law and niece, we visited Vaasa and family twenty years ago.  We spent time in central Finland as well as overnight trips to Helsinki and, on the other end of the country, the arctic circle and the home of St. Nicholas, SantaPark.  (Since our trip was in June, warm coats and hats were not needed!) 


SantaPark, Rovaniemi, Finland, the official hometown of Santa


And, like my grandparents and dad, my cousins' drink of choice was coffee, not tea. But, again, like my grandparents, being treated to "coffee" at one of our relatives' homes meant more than a cup of joe. A table would be decked out with china plates, cups, saucers, napkins and a smorgasbord of food. Presentation was as essential as the cuisine and I was so inspired by my Swedish family's tablescapes, that one month after returning, I created my own smorgasbord party, complete with Scandinavian-inspired desserts and, of course, plenty of coffee.


Swedish "coffee", it's not just a cup of joe


Now, twenty years later, I'm remembering my Swedish connections courtesy my thoughtful neighbor. The Swedish tea log sets me to mind of a a family favorite - not surprisingly, "coffee cake". The tea log is a light dough concoction filled with cinnamon, sugar and nuts and covered generously with a sweet glaze.  


Holidays in the garage, a 2020 tradition that can be replaced


The Swedish tea log is new to me, but I can tell you, based on Therese's rendition, it will no longer be a stranger to our house.  My husband and I enjoyed it for Christmas breakfast and we're all for making this a new tradition. Christmas Eve in the garage with windows open, I'm happy to give up in 2021 - but Swedish tea log, we say,   ya till söta nya traditioner!


Swedish tea log is delicious - pair with tea or coffee!


Although I can't say this is the exact recipe my neighbor used, here's one from Cooks.com Swedish tea log.

 Stora grannar, goda vänner och gott nytt år!

No comments: