Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Lavender cream scones courtesy TeaTime Magazine and the herb garden!

Lavender cream scones courtesy  TeaTime magazine and the herb garden


Scones and lavender -  apart, they are wonderful, together they are magic!

Last weekend, two events inspired me to bake (something I haven't done in well over a year): tending to the herb garden and perusing TeaTime Magazine on-line.  While taking in the sweet aroma of a bumper crop of lavender,  I discovered "Our Favorite Spring Scones" on TeaTime's website.  One of the featured scones was lavender cream and it looked so good, it wasn't long before I was asking my husband to help me find the  Kitchen Aide and other baking essentials.

Ingredients for TeaTime's  lavender cream scones include self-rising flour, lemon zest, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, whipping cream and, of course, dried lavender.


Herbs in back and on the side of flowers.



Since I was making the scones on Sunday, I hadn't had the foresight to bundle up the lavender two weeks before and let it dry in a dark, warm space, so I searched for alternate methods. I learned you can also dry lavender in the oven and in the microwave (5 Easy Methods of Drying Lavender at Home). (I did both, to see if there was any difference. I discerned none.)





The TeaTime scone recipe calls for kneading.  I was a little rusty and feared I'd "overwork" the dough. I also rolled out the flour mixture a little too thin, so I bundled it back up for another try.  I'm thinking this recipe must be almost fool-proof, because the scones came out absolutely delicious (something I'm not accustomed to with my infrequent kitchen escapades).

A sugar glaze  (confectioner's sugar and whole milk) is added to the top with pretty lavender flowers as the perfect garnish.

Not "picture perfect", but for scone match-up app, I'd swipe right.


I can't say my scones turned out "picture perfect", nor would I recommend too much fussing with the dough, but I can say, they turned out to be scrumptious and, actually, not unattractive at all. If their photo ended up on a scone match-up app, I'd swipe right.

The recipe states these are best enjoyed the same day as baked. We had no problem following that instruction. We'd only add that these scones are best served in the garden, drinking tea and reading TeaTime Magazine.




Scones best served with tea and TeaTime


No comments: