Sunday, May 17, 2020

Mother's Day Week: Let us eat cake . . . and muffins!


Scrumptious chocolate, chocolate cake from the kitchen of Emma M.


Mother's Day Week is officially over - I know because this weekend  I ran out of cake and muffins!

First, let me say, I hope all you moms had a great Mother's Day last Sunday - even under such unusual conditions. Like many of you currently practicing "work arounds", my family did a "social distancing" drop off in the afternoon and we all got on a  Zoom call for an hour and half in the evening. Not the typical way we spend Mother's Day, but it was still really special and very sweet, with a double emphasis on the latter.

Delicious made-from-scratch banana muffins from Rachel


The delicious "drop off" came courtesy of my daughter, Rachel, and fiancĂ©, Sean and NY son, Matt (who "appeared" on my porch via Facetime). They had arranged to have a custom cake created for me by Emma Marks, a neighborhood friend and classmate of Rachel's who now has her own catering business after a recent graduation for culinary school. 

Social distancing drop off from Rachel, Sean and Matt



The rich chocolate cake with buttercream frosting was scribed with "Happy Birthday to the Tea Queen" - an appreciated title if only appointed by my family.  It was decadently scrumptious and my husband and I enjoyed a slice of chocolatey goodness every night for dessert for a week.




Also in the drop-off was a smaller box containing half a dozen homemade banana muffins from Rachel. I had one for breakfast every morning, for yes, you guessed it, for six days. 

Zoom call/Quiplash with Rob and Family

More surprises were in store later Mother's Day evening including a family call and three games of Trivia with son Rob and his significant other.


Dressed up with hat and gloves with my Mom and I'm ready for queen cake!

Aside from calls and sweets, I  put the tea kettle on and  spent a couple of hours last weekend going through old photo albums and savoring some wonderful memories of my own Mom.  I also thumbed through a dozen mini albums from that "other lifetime ago" that contained pictures of a thin me with two blonde-haired boys and a pretty little girl with pony-tails. 


Family vacation  in the 1990's with Rob, Rachel and Matt


In these challenging times, when we're self-isolating I know there are bigger problems than not having the family all together under the same roof.  But,  I still feel so very fortunate that my kids were able to still find a way to make the day special for me. 

Alas, the party must come to an end - even for the Queen. It was sad when my cake and muffin rations ran out, but probably for the best. 

And, even better  -we know were to get more!



Last piece of double chocolate cake!



No comments: