Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year, Y'all!

Hey Y'all Dear TEA Friends, Happy New Year!

Starting off the new year with Paula Deen's signature greeting. For those of you familiar with Food Network's delightful southern cook, who possesses as much charm and warmth as the generous portions of butter in her recipes, Paula is an inspiration to her legions of fans of which I count myself as one. Julie Powell had "her Julia" and I have "my Paula".

It's not just her delicious food I embrace, but the way she prepares it is just downright fun to watch. When she takes the finished product out of the oven, fridge, pan or bowl, I can't wait until Paula goes in for the taste and gives us a knowing smile that confirms what we can only visually speculate - - "this is sinfully good stuff!"

Not surprisingly, it was a bit of a Paula Deen Christmas for us this year. I gave my daughter, Rachel, the "Paula Deen Celebrates!" cookbook with some of our favorite recipes . (I'll save you some time, go right to page 73 for Creme de Menthe Brownies. They are fabulous and last Christmas' big hit!) This book is so authentic, you'll perfect your southern drawl just thumbing through the index.

But wait, there's more!. . . my husband, Chris, another of my favorite cooks, treated me to a Paula Deen teakettle. With its "colorful porcelain exterior" and "secure handle and lid", it is sure to be a treasured addition to my tea collection. However, it's what's on the box that says it all - Paula's note to us tea drinkers:

"I have always said that the heart of the home is in the kitchen. No kitchen would be complete without a teakettle. You can spend hours upon hours with a good cup of tea and a cherished friend."

And, so, I share with you, a scene from my own kitchen this morning: fresh baked scones from my dear Mr. Gulley, "the" teakettle, a beautiful "new" teacup, kitchen chair pulled out and the fire blazing from the family room fireplace. So take your shoes off, sit a spell, have a cup of tea and we'll look forward to the many hours we'll spend together with cherished TEA friends, with the kettle on and so much to share in 2010!

Y'all come back now, ya' hear!

Yours in TEA (and a bit of butter),

Barb

P. S. Check out the Paula Deen teakettle and other fun things on her website.

P. S. S. To my family: anything on the Paula Deen website is welcomed.

P. S. S. S. New goal - to stay in the beach house!

4 comments:

TeaCast.net said...

Sounds like you had a good start to the new year... excellent!

Barb's Tea Shop said...

Thanks, TeaCast! Enjoyed visiting your site. Lots of great tea info!

parTea lady said...

She is delightful and so are her books and magazines. I use her Celebrates book all the time and I have all her Christmas mags.

I really like your green speckled teakettle and the pretty cup and saucer. The scones look yummy - are they lemon poppy seed?

Thanks for the links.

Barb's Tea Shop said...

Hello parTea lady!

Thanks for your comments re: Paula and the Russell Hobbs set. My husband found the recipe for the scones in Joy of Cooking - there's no butter, but there is a lot of cream. They are really the best scones I've ever had!

Also, love your blog. Your pictures are beautiful AND inspiring! I'll have fun visiting often! : )